It’s taken a while due to other commitments, but every day I’ve been beavering away on the train journey to bring you the latest and hopefully greatest version of the Exchange Environment Report – written at literally 60 miles an hour!
Since the last version, it’s had a major overhaul and hopefully you should find it faster, it now supports Exchange 2003 in 2010 and 2007 environments; and it also makes it easier to send mail and schedule the report generation.
New Features and Changes
I’ve had a quite a few requests for new features since the last version. Whilst I haven’t been able to put every feature in, there are quite a few new additions…
- Now supports Exchange 2003 in addition to 2007 and 2010 (should support 2000 too, but not robustly tested)
- New options to send mail with report as attachment directly from the script
- New option to schedule itself to run nightly
- Shows Log and Database disk free (including DBs on mount points)
- Shows Rollup Update version as well as number
- Major code re-factor and re-write. Down from 62KB to 33KB, only 100 lines longer even with the extra features and code should be more readable (functions at the top, main code from line 669 onwards)
- Altered the method of data collection to avoid repetition. Most data retrieved up-front in one go then processed
- Improved warnings and troubleshooting information on non-fatal errors (such as if it can’t get information from a server via WMI)
There were a few bugs in the last version and the following should now be fixed:
- Mailbox counts showed incorrectly under some circumstances. The method of calculation has changed.
- Multiple databases with the same name in different storage groups did not show correctly.
- More accurate mailbox and database sizes
As so much has changes since the last version, there is the chance of a few new bugs. As always let me know in the comments or at firstname.lastname@example.org if you find any.