In the first of four episodes recorded at Microsoft Ignite 2019, we wanted to talk about Microsoft’s new announcements and features for Cloud Video Interop and Direct Guest Join. In the modern workplace, whilst it would be great if every organisation used Microsoft Teams – unfortunately they don’t and sometimes you need to join meetings hosted by other companies on other systems. And – some companies have made big investments in systems like those from Cisco that can’t just be thrown away overnight.
Joining us on the show today are two industry veterans – Ilya Bukshteyn – Head of Product for Teams Devices at Microsoft, and Adam Jacobs, Principal Microsoft Architect at Poly. As you might expect, given the Cisco-interop announcements from Microsoft, Adam has a lot of questions about the effects on the wider ecosystem and we chat with Ilya to understand how Microsoft are making the Direct Guest Join functionality work – and why they’ve done it.
Our show notes from today:
- How did we get here – a bit of history and a 101
- Who are the key players in the market?
- What is the future state?
- Can an MTR can join directly to Cisco WebEx & Zoom?
- What’s the experience going to be when joining those meetings?
- Cisco runs Microsoft Certified Cloud Video Interop (CVI) service?
- Why is it good for customers?
- Does it keep the door open to competition from Cisco?
- Collaboration Bars – form factor appliances
- How does this impact MTR existing manufactures?
- Why would you go MTR and not buy Cisco endpoints?
And, as mentioned on the show – you can find out more about Teams Devices here.
One last thing for this episode – thanks to Microsoft, we’ve got a chance to WIN some new kit. Microsoft are giving you the change to win one of 10 Surface Earbuds, so you’ll be able to enjoy the All About 365 podcast in comfort and style!
If you want to be in with a chance of winning, visit aka.ms/MSIgnite/PodcastSweepstakes before December 15th and enter your details and read the full terms and conditions.
You’ll find Episode 35 above, and at our podcast site, on iTunes,Spotify, TuneIn Radio, Stitcher, Google podcasts and you can subscribe with your favourite podcast app using the feed. If you’ve got any suggestions for what you’d like to hear on the next shows, let us know. You’ll find us on Twitter as @SteveGoodman, @jaywynn, @ilyabu and @adamjacobs.