Michael Van Horenbeeck joins Jason and I for our first show of the new year, and our fiftieth episode. Michael is one of the authors of the book Microsoft 365 Security for IT Pros, and former co-author of Office 365 for IT Pros.
Many of you will know Michael from his extensive background in Office 365 – at one point he spoke at conferences like Microsoft Ignite so often about Exchange Hybrid so often he became known as Van Hybrid; and he used to be one of my fellow co-hosts on The UC Architects podcast from 2012-2017.
These days Michael is CEO of Belgian Microsoft Partner The Collective, leading their cybersecurity division and working with their clients. Michael joins us today to share his real-world knowledge of the growing Microsoft 365 security space and discuss some of the biggest threats facing organizations today – along with real-world solutions that have been implemented in the real world.
Our show notes from today’s episode:
- We learn more about the Microsoft 365 Security for IT Pros book
- We ask Michael about the biggest security threat he sees organizations facing today – and it’s not what you might expect.
- We discuss the key tools available for security Microsoft 365 and get Michael’s recommendations.
- We talk about internal threats – which types are common and what you should be concerned about.
- We then talked about how you should secure endpoints – using Defender for Endpoint, Microsoft Cloud App Security and Intune’s Application Management (Mobile Application Management) on mobile devices/
- Next we talk about the top three external threats – some you may know, but some might not be as obvious but very serious in nature. How can external threat actors get into your organization and what techniques do they use?
- Then we talk about the wider security suite from Microsoft – Microsoft 365 is one part, but there’s more to Microsoft’s offering; and overall – where do Microsoft have gaps that sit outside of Microsoft’s cloud and on-premises security offerings?
- Finally we discuss monitoring and detection of threats – what are the tools we have available in the suite and what add-on Microsoft tooling outside Microsoft 365 itself, like Azure Sentinel should you consider?
You’ll find Episode 50 above, and at our podcast site, on iTunes,Spotify, TuneIn Radio, Stitcher, Google podcasts and you can subscribe with your favourite podcast app using the feed. If you’ve got any suggestions for what you’d like to hear on the next shows, let us know. You’ll find us on Twitter as @SteveGoodman and @jaywyn and Michael on Twitter as @VanHybrid and at his blog.